Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Shake it Baby

Perhaps it's because she is a puppy mill pup... I don't know... but, it seems Thea has to be forced to do new things. Once she is pushed she seems to accept. The beach, for instance... she refused to even go within ear shot of the waves but when I forced her to the sand then to the water she just clicked.

Well, tonight was kind of the same thing. I was determined, after a message from Pam, that I was going to teach her to "shake". I'm determined that she CAN and WILL learn. So tonight I grabbed some treats and the clicker, locked the other dogs out of the house and started to work with her.

I know, luring isn't recommended or ideal but this is a special situation so... I grabbed her paw, lifted it up, clicked and shoved a treat into her mouth. After doing this about 15 times she lifted the front paw I was not working with. I clicked it and treated her and that was it! She is now offering me a paw to the cue "shake". She is not consistant with one or the other paw but that's ok for now!!

This just seems like a HUGE accomplishment for our girl!

1 comment:

  1. You need to post some video of this! I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete